Saturday, August 16, 2008

Vacation

I would really like to say that for our vacation we spent it on a beautiful island and we had the best family quality time ever but I think in the the Bible it says "Thou Shall Not Lie"!

So this is what the really happened! Back in March we were trying to decide where to go this year for vacation because every year we try to go somewhere because it's always a great family time for us. Drue had gone out to a school in Wyoming and really wanted to go out there again but this time with all of us, so that was the plan but as gas prices kept going up in the months ahead and we just started to tithe at the beginning of the year because I felt God had laid that on my heart to start doing so we felt we better go on vacation a little closer to home. We decide to go to the Iowa State Fair in August.
Days before we actually leave on vacation, I always ponder on what things will we talk about in the car or laugh about, or as parents what new lesson will we have taught our kids while being on vacation and the memories we will create by being together.

Well, the day finally comes and we are all packed and organized (I make sure we have everything because I am a organize freak, just ask my husband of 23 years) and ready to take off and my husband's cell-phone rings, this is not a good sign. Well, it's a family that has had a tragedy happen about 3 weeks ago and wants him to come out to the house and just talk. He needs to do this and I TOTALLY support him on this decision because if we can help this family with any form of healing I am all for it.
About an hour later we are headed out after making 3 trips inside of the house again for something they forgot (they do not have my organization skills).

My oldest wants to ride in front with his Dad and I have no problem with this sitting in back because as long as we are all together that's what counts. Now, that they are both teenage boys they really didn't want to talk much, I tried several times but didn't get much response from either one. They really just wanted to listen to music but did have some great conversations with their dad about music, bands and other manly things so I just sat back and looked out the window and just listened to my boys converse with their Dad.

The weather was kind of cool and rainy so we decided to go to the State Fair the next day. So we get something eat at Culver's ( they have really good burgers) and check into the hotel. This is always a great thrill for my boys to check out the room (they don't get out much and easily entertained) so we open the door and Logan is so awed about the free shampoo, conditioner, and lotion and a leather lap desk, Ethan loves the big beds and Drue likes the big wall desk unit for his computer and for me it's just getting all of us in one room and we are going to talk and be together!!
Later we took a drive around Des Moines and as we are driving around Des Moines we always have to hear the old stories when Drue use to work there as a Crime Scene Technician (the real C.S.I.) on what crime happened in what buildings as we past them. The boys and I have learned how to sound really interested because we can still hear the excitement in his voice.
We get back to the hotel and they have hot cookies waiting for us (very good) and it's about bedtime and we try to settle down but are a little excited about being away and then Ethan, Logan and I get the giggles and we just can't stop because how can I say this, 3 boys and their body functions and someone snores but I won't say who. My husband can't see the humor in all this and just wants to go to sleep!! Well, about 1:30 in the morning we finally calm down after Drue threatens he is going out to the van to sleep, we are quiet as a mouse!

Iowa State Fair day! We all got up around 8:00, had our free breakfast and we were at the state fair by 9:00. There's so much to do and I am so excited. We first go in the building that they have all this merchandise that will make your life easier. Then off to the building that has all the FREE STUFF!!! I have pencils for schools, magnets, pads of paper, mardigras beeds! I love free stuff! The boys wouldn't wear the free ISU hats or get their pictures taken with Clifford the Red Dog, teenagers!! We did run into some old friends that we had fellowship with from our old church in Indianola, we were so thrilled to have ran into them. God is so good!
We pretty much stayed together, but the boys were always ahead of us (not cool to be with your parents) I knew if we really got lost we all had cell-phones and they did come in handy. The boys were ready to leave by 12:00 p.m. Drue and I couldn't believe what we were hearing that they wanted to leave so soon, we wanted to show them the cow made out of butter, find the 4-H Red Oak entries, listen to some free entertainment but they kept saying we thought it was going to be different? It's the state fair, one of the biggest one around and they are bored!! I at least talked them into letting me get a deep fried snickers (it wasn't that good) so we left and went back to the hotel and took naps, the giggling the night before was catching up with us.

On the last day, the boys asked if we could all go see a movie since we never spend the money to go to a theater to see a movie and I was all about spending time together and it was our vacation so I was all for it but I was trying to figure out on the way there how was I going to convince the 3 boys to watch a chick flick? They all wanted to see Batman? Didn't know much about it but how bad could it be? Batman and Robin, the Joker, watched it as a kid, Pow-Boom-Bam! This Batman movie was scary, I had my hands in front of my face and asking Logan if is was over yet? The 3 boys thought is was good but I wouldn't describe it that way at all. It was our conversation piece for the ride home.

It was good to be home but that night I was wondering did the boys have any fun? Should we have just stayed home and saved the money? I created a whole different picture in my head what this vacation was going to be like. Then I remembered someone told me that when boys turn the age of 13 they really start to lean on their dad and less on their mother and that's the way God had intended it to be. I really noticed on vacation that this process is happening right before my eyes! I won't lie and say this process is easy for me and at times I do feel alone but I do believe God has the perfect plan for all of us and I do trust HIM!

In closing, if you ask any of my 3 boys they will tell you they had fun!












4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherry -

Lori Bonnell here. Long time! It's so good to see you in the blogosphere! I'll be back to check out what else you have to say! Blessings!

beyondthegarden.org

Sharon said...

Sherry, you poor thing, all those boy's. Glad you had a good trip and I'm sure they did have a good time. Anytime you are feeling like a little girl company just call Heado and Me. Blessing!

Heather said...

Oh Sherry! I am loving this post. It just cracked me up. Especially the part about you 'learning to look interested' as Drue tells you creepy C.S.I. stories.

I'm so glad you had a good time. More than that....I'm so glad you had some family time. What a blessing that is!

I love ya, sister!!!

Heather said...

OH...and LOVE your new look!!!